Saturday, October 5, 2013

Naralachi Vadi (Coconut Burfi)

Being away from blogging for a long time, I once again decided to cook and post something on the eve of Navratri. And while writing this post suddently I realised that this is my 200th post. OMG.. is it true or a dream? I started this blog just for fun, but when I look back, I cant believe that I have cooked so many dishes. Once again, I take this opportunity to thank all my followers, visitors and friends for always inspiring me with comments and likes. And last but not least I really want to thank my Mom and Wife for always supporting and guiding me.

Co-incedently my 200th post is a traditional Maharashtrian recipe and that too very simple. Traditionally Naralachya Vadya or Coconut Burfi are made by using only three ingredients namely, scrapped Coconut, Sugar and Cardamom powder for flavouring. However, I have also seen people adding milk and cream to make these Vadi soft. Hence, I have added milk and garnished it with Silver Varq and Pistachios, which is not part of the traditional recipe.


Servings: 20-25 pieces

Approx. Time: 30-45 min (excluding cooling time)

Ingredients:
3 cups scraped Coconut (2 small sized Coconuts)
2 cups Sugar
1 cup Full fat Milk with Cream 
1 tspn Cardamom Powder 
Ghee for greasing plate

For Garnishing:
Silver Varq
Pistachio flakes

Method:
Break the Coconuts from centre. Scrape out only the white portion out of it. Then mix scraped Coconut, Sugar and Milk with Cream together in a bowl. Set it aside for approximately half an hour. 

After resting, transfer the mixture into a non stick pan. On medium flame, cook the mixture for 25-30 minutes by continuously stirring it. You will find that the mixture thickens and lumps are formed. Pick litte bit of mixture and roll it on your thumb with one finger. If the mixture doesnt stick to your thumb or finger, that means it is appropriately cooked. Turn off the flame and add Cardamom powder to the mixture. Mix well.

Then grease an aluminium plate and pour the mixture on it. Spread it evenly with the help of greased Spatula. Cut it into squares when it is hot. Allow it to cool and set. Once the bottom of plate has cooled off completely, remove  the Vadis from plate. Garnish it with Silver Varq and Pistachios. (Optional). These can be stored outside refrigerator for 4-5 days. 

Notes:
1. If you feel that the mixture has turned dry, then add a tablespoon of Milk to make it moist. 
2. You may also substitute fresh Coconut with Dessicated Coconut.
3. An addition of 1 cup Mava (Khoa) will make these Vadis more rich and tasty.
4. You may make variants like Rose by adding rose water, Saffron flavoured by adding Saffron, etc. 

Stepwise Pictures:


























Linking this to the event Traditional recipies @Jiya's masterminded by Pari Diwali Bash 2013 and Spotlight -Festive treats
 

9 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 200th post! Coconut burfi is my hubby's favorite..looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on ur 200th post, naralachi vadi looks highly irresistible..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, and hope you write 200 more! Your blog is wonderful and I always love your step-by-step instructions! Thank you for all your hard work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on your 200th blog post! I hope you will 200 more! Thank you for all your hard work and your wonderful step-by-step instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on your 200th post. Love the clear and crisp pictorial and the burfi looks terrific. I miss fresh coconut :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. can you send me a pic of this recipe ASAP to [riappyayan@gmail.com] for the round-up of spotlight : festive treat2

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...