Saturday, April 27, 2013

Birasta

Birasta means brown onions. It is an important ingredient used in many type of Biryani to enhance the flavor. The method I have given is traditional method of making Birasta.
Ingredients:
Onions
Oil for frying
A pinch of salt 

Method:
Chop Onions into thin slices ad dry them in the sun for consecutive 3 days till the moisture evaporates and the onions become dry. 


Then heat Oil in a frying pan on high flame. Once the oil is heated, lower the flame and put onions in the Oil. After the onions changes its colour to golden brown, remove and drain them. Sprinkle some salt over it.

Store Birasta in an airtight container.

Notes:
Alternatively, the Onions can be dried in Oven by sprinkling some salt and oil over it. 

Stepwise Pictures:











4 comments:

  1. What do I do if I have no sunlight here..how do I dry the onions.
    Any tip ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I do my birasta instantly,
      Just slice them, dry them in a kitchen towel. sprinkle a tsp of cornflour and fry like mentioned above!

      Delete
  2. Oh this is such a cool recipe, I love using birasta....thanks for sharing the recipe, I usually follow a recipe where I put a dash of sugar in the oil so that the onions caramalise...will follow yours and dry the onions....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...