Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sol Kadhi

Sol Kadhi (kokam in coconut milk) is a well known dish from the Konkan area of Maharashtra. It is a cooling drinking and acts as an appitizer. It is also good for digestion and is traditionally served with steamed rice.  If served as an appetizer, you can avoid tempering. Tempering brings in additional flavor when this dish is served with main course. This dish is also known as 'Kokam Kadhi'.

Ingredients :
For Sol Kadhi
12-15 Kokam /Aamsula (Garcinia Indica)
2 cups Thin Coconut Milk
1 tspn Green Chili paste (for finely chopped green chilly)
1 tspn Garlic paste (or finely chopped garlic)
1 tbspn Sugar
2-3 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
Salt to taste

For Tempering :
1 tspn Ghee
1/2 tspn Cumin seeds
1/4 tspn Asafoetida
6-7 curry leaves

Method :
For tempering :
Heat ghee in a small kadai. Add cumin seeds and saute till it crackles. Lastly, add curry leaves and asafoetida. Turn off the gas and allow it to cool. 

To make Sol Kadhi :
Soak Kokam in hot water (about cupful) for about half an hour. Alternatively, it can be soaked for 5-6 hours in normal water. Squeeze the soaked kokam to extract juice out of it. Pass it through a strainer. Now add green chilly paste, garlic paste, salt and sugar to it. Mix it well.

Then, add coconut milk and stir it in the kokam mixture. Then, add chopped corriander leaves.  Lastly, pour the tempering over it. Serve at room temperature or chilled. 

Notes :

1. I have used ready made coconut milk. However it tastes divine with freshly extracted coconut milk. In that case grind three cups of freshly grated coconut with green chillies, garlic and water in a grinder and pass it through siever. More coconut milk can be extracted by repeating the process for the remaining coconut paste.
2. If you want to avoid the tempering, then you may add dry roasted crushed cumin to this kadhi
3. Do not heat the Sol kadhi as it gets curdled on overheating.

Stepwise Pictures :






























16 comments:

  1. Got to get some kokum, love that pink color of the kadhi..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet new to me !! so interesting and delicious !!

    Ongoing event
    CC:Spring Seasonal Food

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious and interesting authentic recipe!!!
    an award is waiting for you at my space.please drop in and collect it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this kadhi, can drink glasses of it and let my husband not see that I made this comment here else he is going to give me that killing stare, as he has been asking me to make this so many times in the last few months and I've just avoided for no reason.

    JOIN ME THIS MONTH IN APRIL EVENT- ‘ONLY’ SNACKS & STARTERS + COOKBOOK GIVEAWAY

    FOODELICIOUS

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome....really different....it's a new kind of Kadhi,I always ate yellow Kadhi....good job.
    http://zariafrozrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,Thanks a lot for dropping in my space :)Awesome recipes here!!
    Never tried any recipes with Kokam..just saw this in some cookery show..Loving the color!!Wonderful Kadhi!!
    Happy to follow you :)

    Prabha's Cooking
    Ongoing Event : EP Series~Ginger & Pepper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks lovely. I am ur new follower. Do visit my blog when you get time.
    http://lavanyasrecipes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never tried kokum in my cooking, i couldnt able to get them here..Sol kadhi looks super comforting..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I find this so cooling ( kokum has excellent properties) and not to forget, the super taste! My first taste was in Goa, where my hostess made coconut milk on the traditional stone gringer/ mortar- pestle made and fitted in the kitchen floor.

    Ur post has brought back wonderful memories, thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow..looking nice...I too prepare kadhi like this but I use butter milk along with coconut milk..my all time fav.....looking good...i will prepare this for tommrow...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sol Kadhi is SOUL kadhi for me.. with plain rice and fish fry( When I used to hog on Fish)I was in a happy place. Now will have to substitute Fish Fry with some fritters or kaap.
    Love Ash.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very colourful
    nice recipe
    http://cookbookjaleela.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. First time in you space... great collection of recipes.
    love this recipe.. .will give it a try~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything perfect, but I don't think traditional Sol kadhi is ever tempered.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was literally unaware of the taste of solkadi the test is soo good that that want to have it daily

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...